Rain! rain Rain!

RussGianni

Feb 22, 2024
NOLA
Time of past OR future Camino
April2024
Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags being transported daily) Any recommendations regarding this? Any other type of rainwear suggested?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Chris Day

Hesed Walker
Apr 7, 2014
Southampton, England
Frances-14/15/16 Part-17/18/19/20
VdlP/Sanab/Finist 16
Port/Ingles 17
Norte 18 Le Puy&Prim 19
Umbrellas are good. All Galicians are born clutching one...
I too favour an umbrella, when usable from a strength-of-wind standpoint.
If wet weather settles in, I buy a €12 type - which seem to be generable available and can be a welcomed parting gift at a bar or shop at the Camino’s end - or if there is a lot of wet weather forecast in advance of leaving home, I tend to use a collapsible umbrella, that I bring along with me and take back home after Camino.

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
Umbrellas? Hmmmm…. I never thought of this. I suppose carrying a small umbrella may be the best solution?
Small umbrella? I carry an adult umbrella. Fulton's Huntsman at around 110cm is good. At 670gm its not much over the weight of most practical ponchos and probably more useful. Excellent in rain, useful in strong sunshine and can even be used to poke things that you may wish to poke. Not recommended for sleeping dogs

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I have seen videos on Youtube over the years with pilgrims walking in very thin see-through throwaway ponchos blowing every which way in wind. If you choose a poncho for a "once and done" Camino(good luck with that), I suppose it could work, but you may find it very annoying. Possibly a cheap raincoat with an umbrella would be a better choice.

Caomhin O Fearghaill

Jan 25, 2010
Ireland
2008 to 2023
2024 planned
Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags being transported daily) Any recommendations regarding this? Any other type of rainwear suggested?
no matter what you wear, if it rains you will get wet, if there is wind, an umbrella is useless and you will get wet....wind blows rain under you cape and you get wet..if you were waterproof pants..rain runs down your leg into your boot and you get wet....so, if it rains you get wet....wet! wet! wet!

Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I usually carry an ALTUS poncho and I often carry an umbrella - a STICK umbrella, not a collapsing one. They're handy in sun (you'll walk many degrees cooler) and in rain, and good for fending off dogs and using as an occasional walking stick. I buy mine in Spain when I arrive.

Reactions: MauiGail
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

RussGianni

Feb 22, 2024
NOLA
April2024
I usually carry an ALTUS poncho and I often carry an umbrella - a STICK umbrella, not a collapsing one. They're handy in sun (you'll walk many degrees cooler) and in rain, and good for fending off dogs and using as an occasional walking stick. I buy mine in Spain when I arrive.
Dogs???? Is this a common problem?? Yikes!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
walking every day for the rest of my life
no matter what you wear, if it rains you will get wet, if there is wind, an umbrella is useless and you will get wet....wind blows rain under you cape and you get wet..if you were waterproof pants..rain runs down your leg into your boot and you get wet....so, if it rains you get wet....wet! wet! wet!
You obviously haven't worn a Packa rain jacket! I have walked for over a week on the Via de la Plata in pouring rain and the only things that got wet were my legs and sandals-n-socks. Shorts, shirt, backpack were completely dry.

Reactions: chinacat
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I have worn my Frogg Togg rain jacket and pants on my Caminos when needed, and with the exception of my drenched trail runners, I have never yet felt wet. I have also had very little issue feeling sweaty as they are considered "breathable"; often a complaint about rain gear.
That said, I have rarely walked in a true downpour lasting over half a day...thankfully.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
Umbrellas are good. All Galicians are born clutching one...
When I was 11 and my brother was 13 we went with the family to live in England for a year. My brother refused to get on the plane unless my parents got him an umbrella before we boarded, so that he was prepared upon arrival. Just sayin'.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.