Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quiroga to Monteforte

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
I am walking part of the Invierno with friends who have time constraints. Due to our advanced years we could struggle with the 33 kms in one day If we took a taxi for about 10 kms, are there any suggestions as to which section we could miss or which section we should definitely not miss?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The stage is pleasant, nothing spectacular, but the old hamlet and bridge of Barxa de Lor is a highlight, so I wouldn’t miss that. I think the main thing to consider would be whether you want to reduce the ascent/descent, most of which come at the beginning.

Walking Quiroga to Pobra de Brollón would give you 23 km, and a couple of ascents. Google shows taxis in Pobra de Brollón, so you could get into Monforte easily.

Pobra de Brollón is about 12 into Monforte, and it is much flatter. There used to be a perennially muddy/messy stretch a few kms outside Monforte, but I’ve been told it has been re-routed. The walk into Monforte isn’t special, but I remember that VN did see an old Castro outside of Pobra, which I somehow missed.

The other option would be to miss the bigger ascent at the beginning and take a cab from Quiroga to Barxa de Lor. That would be a slightly shorter day than walking to Pobra. But either way gets you to Barxa de Lor, which is very nice.

I agree with @peregrina2000 that Barxa do Lor is a highlight! I would probably taxi from Quiroga or San Clodio to Barxa do Lor. From recent reports, it sounds like the ascent between Noceda and through the forest to the Capela dos Remedios (just before the descent to Barxa do Lor) was devastated by the recent wildfires.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was with someone who needed to gain even more time, so we taxied to Castoncelos.

However, I'd suggest taking a taxi from Quiroga to Barxa. (Quiroga is a good sized town, so taxis should be easily available, and I much prefer to take a taxi at the start of the day, leaving me "free" for the rest of the day).

VN did see an old Castro outside of Pobra, which I somehow missed
A couple of km past Pobra de Brollon, there is a sign indicating the path to the Castro de San Lourenzo (a few 100m away). It was a pleasant side trip with nice views on a beautiful day in May.

Attachments

• 20220525_103925.jpg
    20220525_103925.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220525_102119.jpg
    20220525_102119.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 12
You might like to investigate this train alternative for part of the way.
Excerpt from my diary:

Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Ponferrada to Monforte de Lemos

I travelled on the little blue tourist train for 2 hours, running about 10 minutes late. We left just after 9.00 am. It was a really beautiful route, going along rocky cuttings and a few tunnels through the mountains. The hillsides were covered in yellow flowering trees, (maybe mimosa, but couldn’t identify it properly from the train).

T4V8in8Ym0YTnWsQR9TVftyqNgJN_DDHFwEjlX9nUeQ6LSr6bw98cTc0GRI

The train made 11 stops, with the following places actually on the Camino Invierno:
Sobradelo
O Barco de Valdeorras
A Rua - Petin
Montefurado
San Clodio - Quiorga
Monforte de Lemos.

Thanks for all the very helpful suggestions. We start walking on 22nd April. I wonder if anyone else is planning to walk around that time?. My friends are only walking as far as Montforte but I am then continuing to Santiago on my own.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I travelled on the little blue tourist train for 2 hours, running about 10 minutes late. We left just after 9.00 am.
This is great information. It sounds like it must be something other than the once-a-day regularly scheduled stop in Montefurado to pick up pilgrims who want to go back to A Rua after leaving their pack there.

This was the information we had for the forum guide, focusing only on how pilgrims could break up the stage from A Rua to Quiroga, which was too much for some. I’m not sure about starting and ending points of that train, but it may also be of use to @jennysa :

Day 1: walk from O Barco to A Rúa (14 km). Stay in one of the hostals in town. After lunch, and a rest, walk on to Montefurado and then catch the 18.14 train back to A Rúa (just 10 minutes). Train back to a Rúa leaves from the middle platform, but one peregrina on the wrong platform reported that the train patiently waited for her to get to the right track.

Day 2: As you walked to Montefurado the day before, now catch the 10.03 train from A Rúa, get off at Montefurado (just 9 minutes), and continue on to Quiroga.
These two stages would be roughly the same distance.

I can’t find any information on the tourist train that @Margaret Butterworth shows in her picture — do you know if it’s seasonal?

This is great information. It sounds like it must be something other than the once-a-day regularly scheduled stop in Montefurado to pick up pilgrims who want to go back to A Rua after leaving their pack there.

This was the information we had for the forum guide, focusing only on how pilgrims could break up the stage from A Rua to Quiroga, which was too much for some. I’m not sure about starting and ending points of that train, but it may also be of use to @jennysa :

Day 1: walk from O Barco to A Rúa (14 km). Stay in one of the hostals in town. After lunch, and a rest, walk on to Montefurado and then catch the 18.14 train back to A Rúa (just 10 minutes). Train back to a Rúa leaves from the middle platform, but one peregrina on the wrong platform reported that the train patiently waited for her to get to the right track.

Day 2: As you walked to Montefurado the day before, now catch the 10.03 train from A Rúa, get off at Montefurado (just 9 minutes), and continue on to Quiroga.
These two stages would be roughly the same distance.

I can’t find any information on the tourist train that @Margaret Butterworth shows in her picture — do you know if it’s seasonal?
The train times are out of date. There is NO tourist train, apart from a couple of times in high summer (see my bext post). Here are the train schedules from Ponferrada to Monforte:

Return schedules:

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back