• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello and question about Biarritz-Bayonne travel

margaret

Hi - My name is Margaret (this sounds like an AA intro!!). My friend Cath and I are planning to walk 1/2 the camino in July of this year. I know it will be hot but she's a teacher, so we don't have a lot of leeway for dates. We're from Ottawa in Canada - where right now it is about -15C and we'll be going to skate on the Rideau Canal later today. So it will be a real change to Spain in July.

We fly to London arriving June 28 and then by Ryan Air to Biarritz. Question - the SNCF site shows a train from Biarritz to St Jean at 17:52 but when I try to book, it only shows the train listed at 17:13. Anyone know the score? Otherwise anyone know how long and how much a taxi would be from Biarritz airport to Bayonne train station? We kind of have a tight timetable, arriving in Biarritz airport about 5 and hoping to make the train to St Jean at 6. Any help would be gratefully received.

THanks and hope to see some of you there.

Margaret

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Train to SJPP

We fly to London arriving June 28 and then by Ryan Air to Biarritz. Question - the SNCF site shows a train from Biarritz to St Jean at 17:52 but when I try to book, it only shows the train listed at 17:13. Anyone know the score?

Sometimes there is a difference between the summer and winter timetable and you may have that problem here. Perhaps it would be better to try again closer to the time you leave, or not bother to book at all. That way if you miss your connection you can put the money towards the taxi.

Alternatively you could stay the night in Bayonne or Biarritz and get the train the next day and walk up to the gite at Hunto or Orrison (you may need to book) so breaking your first day into smaller chunks.

Buen Camino
William

The train to St Jean PdP leaves from Bayonne. Biarritz station is nearer the airport than Bayonne is, but it's going the wrong way and if you catch a train from there you have to change at Bayonne anyway, so you're better off going direct to Bayonne stn from the airport. There is a bus, or you can get a taxi. Here's a map showing the relative positions http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/ ... ountry=eur
Biarritz stn is just left of 'Negresse'; Bayonne N of the river (opp side from the cathedral).

Train timetables are at http://www.ter-sncf.com/aquitaine/ (Biarritz is on the Hendaye-Dax line). Last train leaves Bayonne at 18.10. If your plane is on time, you should catch this.

Don't forget to allow time to xfer to STN from whichever airport you arrive in from Ottawa. ;-)

P.S. the 17.49 [sic] Biarritz-Bayonne is a TGV (high-speed train) - they may not allow you to book that for such a short journey

P.P.S. the bus timetable is at http://www.bus-stab.com/Privee/html/aff ... gne_06.pdf
looks like it's too slow for you, as the 17.39 doesn't get to the Gare until 18.11. Taxi costs €9.15 according to the airport website http://www.biarritz.aeroport.fr/acces.html

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm with Peter on this one. The bus goes from Biarritz airport and then you can get the train to St Jean... It's beautiful...

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.