Booking train

dreaming

Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
CF, LE PUY
Hello everyone. Finally I have booked to fly to Paris from Australia. Do I book the train to Bayonne in advance or wait until I get there in case plane is delayed?
Do I take gaiters when I am taking rain pants?
Thanks for your help

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
F

Former member 104756

Hi @dreaming - another Aussie here. From Australia, I find Trainline the most user friendly site / app to book. Is it this September you are walking? If, it's September 2024, you won't be able to buy the ticket until at least 3 months before (sometimes 2 months).

Also, just a note you've said you are booking through to Bayonne. That's a good strategy. I wouldn't be tempted to book all the way from Paris to SJPP. The train that runs between Bayonne to SJPP is sometimes cancelled (usually due to debris / repairs on the track) and a cancellation can mess up your whole booking if it's seen as one. You can book the Bayonne SJPP separately. Also, when the train is cancelled, SNCF will (almost/always) provide replacement bus.

All the best with your planning.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

MichelleElynHogan

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2012
1) If there is concern about plane delays, wait till you arrive in Paris to purchase the ticket at the Station, (Gare). When I did this leg of the trip, I stayed in a hostel near the Gare Montparnasse. I got there by bus from the airport, direct. Next morning, I walked to the station, 2 or 3 blocks and purchased the ticket.

2) No need for gaiters as all paths are pretty much open. Also, the popular rain wear is a poncho that covers the pack as well as you. The climate is sub tropical so rain pants will feel like a sauna.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

dbier

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2022
US
Last 114km C. Frances, Jul 21
2023 - C. Primitivo
Can't comment on trains, but we've had occasional sideways driving rain on the Primitivo for parts of the last two days, with mud and temps in the high 40s- low 50s Fahrenheit. Not exactly subtropical. And it didn't seem to matter what people wore...we were all soaked to the skin in one area or another.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

dreaming

Aug 3, 2022
Australia
CF, LE PUY
Thanks for your replies. I am going this September and have walked in August twice before. I even took my rain pants then and sometimes wore them when everything was in the wash. The SNCF shows minimal tickets for trains yet Trainline says fully booked so probably should book ahead. Michelle, what was the name of the hostel you stayed at near the station? Planes to Biarritz look expensive.
Thanks all for your advice.

Oct 8, 2012
Illawarra Region NSW Australia
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
G'Day @dreaming !
The flight from Oz can be more than a bit daunting, how well do you handle jet lag?? I would support the advice about overnighting in Paris near Gare Montparnasse. I stayed there in 2017 as I had booked a 7.15 train,. Buen Camino.

Reactions: trecile
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Genie208

Mar 31, 2023
QLD Australia
September/October 2023
I’m flying Brisbane to Paris 29 Sept arrive at 2pm on 30th. Getting a train from CDG airport to Montparnasse and booked a train to Biarritz departing at .415pm arrives at 10.15pm. Booked 2 nights in Biarritz and then on to SJPDP on the mon, I’m staying nr the airport so will get lift from there
Hope this helps as maybe an option. I checked all transport options w Rome2Rio app.

DwainS

Jan 9, 2020
Victoria,BC,Canada
Camino Frances(2020)
Mine, too!
Mine too, and I did miss my train because my plane was delayed 4 hours in Toronto on my way to Madrid. But with the Trainline mobile app I just clicked cancel ticket at Toronto airport and my refund was done by the time I landed in Madrid. Can't say enough how easy it was. Also bought my bus ticket to SJPP on Trainline so my train and bus tickets were all on my Trainline mobile app.

Reactions: trecile
A selection of Camino Jewellery

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides