Advice for Ourense

Barry Coltham

BarryCamino
Apr 30, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: VdlP/ Sanabres, SGC, Fisterra Muxia May 2018
Hi I started walking in the via del la plata in Salamanca on 28 April and two days ago started developing shin splints in my left leg on the outside
I am now in vilavella - the climb into Galicia was really hard on the leg i have iced it and the swelling is slightly reduced but still painful mainly on the outside I don’t want to do permanent damage
I am thinking the best solution is to catch a bus to Ourense rest up and seek some medical advice then slowly finish the last 100km to Santiago - does anyone have any advice on accomodation in Ourense and medical advice

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

jerbear

Apr 5, 2012
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
There is a municple alburgue. I stay at hostal erixo. Bookin.com. Thermal baths. Very nice. Good luck.

Reactions: Barry Coltham
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Mournes

Aug 6, 2008
Hi I started walking in the via del la plata in Salamanca on 28 April and two days ago started developing shin splints in my left leg on the outside
I am now in vilavella - the climb into Galicia was really hard on the leg i have iced it and the swelling is slightly reduced but still painful mainly on the outside I don’t want to do permanent damage
I am thinking the best solution is to catch a bus to Ourense rest up and seek some medical advice then slowly finish the last 100km to Santiago - does anyone have any advice on accomodation in Ourense and medical advice

Mournes

Aug 6, 2008
Hi Barry,Check out the web site Gronze it lists accommodation in Ourense.I stayed in a hotel but it was some years ago and I can' t remember the name.I don' t think you will have any difficulty finding medical attention.The Tourist Office should be able to assist you.It is ,indeed,a stiff climb on the camino out of Ourense.I hope you make a good recovery.Buen Camino

tillyjones

May 19, 2015
Summerside, PE, Canada
Frances June 2015
VDLP May 2017
del Norte Sept 2018
I stayed in a comfortable albergue on a main drag. I think before the municipal albergue. Ourense was one of my fonder memories. Definitely a nice place for a rest. Check out the hot baths...may prove therapeutic! But yes it was a surprising, steep climb to get out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jan 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Most recent: Fall 2023 Aragonés, Frances
I stayed at Hotel Mino a couple of weeks ago (Papa Juan XXlll, 2, Ourense) Phone +34988217594. It was 30 euro for a single room - very comfortable with a cafe downstairs. There is an elevator. Good location for resuming the camino. A farmacia is always a good place to check in for advice - they would also have recommendations for a medical clinic if needed.

Hope you're on the mend quickly! As mentioned by others there are several steep climbs and descents along the last 100 km.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides