jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Feb 4, 2018
Rome, Italy
spiritofthecamino.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
For a bit of fun:

Do you know, or can you guess, which are the SIX most popular starting points for the Camino Francés (based on 2019 whole-year pilgrim office statistics)?

Three or four are fairly obvious, of course, but there are a few contenders for the last couple of spots. Can you guess all six? Bonus point if you list them correctly in order of their popularity!

The answer is in the spoiler below, but don't look until you've posted!!

1. Sarria (50.7%)
2. Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (17.5%)
3. León (5.6%)
4. O Cebreiro (4.4%)
5. Ponferrada (3.6%)
6. Roncesvalles (2.6%)

I found these statistics quite interesting so I wrote a blog post about the pros and cons of these six starting points.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Caligal

Feb 1, 2018
California
CF April 4- May 12, 2018
CF Sept 10-27 2019
CP Sept 28- Oct12 2019
C Finisterre Oct 16-Oct 20
Hmm...let 's think.
1. Sarria
2. St Jean Pied de Port
3. Leon
4.Ponferrada
5. Roncesvalles
6.Astorga ?
I would replace #4 with Pamplona and #6 with Burgos. How’d I do?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

jungleboy

Feb 4, 2018
Rome, Italy
spiritofthecamino.com
SJPDP
Sarria
Roncesvalle
Pamplona
Burgos
Leon

These were the six that I had in mind before I looked it up, but no.

Hint: there are two starting points in the top six that are closer to Santiago than a couple of these ones. @SabineP is on the right track but not quite there ;)

Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
Without looking it up, I would think that O Cebreiro is among the top six starting points for the Camino Frances.

Sarria is number 1, I am pretty certain of that. Only about a quarter start from SJPP I think, so it would be neither number 1 nor 2. Roncesvalles may be not among the top six.

I hope someone guesses it soon!!! I'm so tempted to look it up ... 😇

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

jungleboy

Feb 4, 2018
Rome, Italy
spiritofthecamino.com
How many did @sabine get right, 4 or 5? If it is not these six starting points, then I am going to look them up! I am not going to tell, of course ...

Sarria
O Cebreiro
Leon
SJPP
Ponferrada
Burgos
She got 5 right ... and so did you.

Getting there! (This is even more fun than I thought it would be!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
D

Deleted member 73526

I worked it out from previous posts ... but I won't spoil the fun.
Interesting if you look at all of the routes Tui comes in pretty close to Sarria for people who want to opt for a short Camino,
According to the 2019 data from the pilgrims office, Porto and Tui (in that order) were the third and fourth most popular starting points for all pilgrims arriving in Santiago.

I was a little surprised to see them ahead of all but two places on the CF, but when you consider the huge proportion of pilgrims who start in Sarria, I guess it makes sense.

Reactions: Ernesto.IT
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

jungleboy

Feb 4, 2018
Rome, Italy
spiritofthecamino.com
Interesting! I got 4 out of 6, but not necessarily in correct order. Of the two I missed, the less obvious one I almost included, and the other is so obvious it should have hit me me the face. But I never even thought of it. 😂
That so obvious one is indeed so obvious 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Ernesto.IT and Bala
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
This is maddening ... I haven't looked yet ... so with the help of an old envelope, I've come to the following conclusion. If both @SabineP and I got only one wrong, then the following are included among the top six starting points of the CF because otherwise we would have 7 correct answers:

Sarria
SJPP
Leon
Ponferrada

I need a cup of tea before I can wrap my mind around the other two. 🙃

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
@SabineP and @jungleboy, does your 😍 mean that I am on the right track?

So ... as @SabineP and I got only one wrong, one of these - Roncesvalles or Astorga - and one of these - O Cebreiro or Burgos - must be among the top six, right?

And there are @Bala and @trecile who got 4 out of 6 ... the plot thickens ...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

jungleboy

Feb 4, 2018
Rome, Italy
spiritofthecamino.com
My final offer (arbitrary sequence):

Sarria
SJPP
Leon
Ponferrada
O Cebreiro
Roncesvalles
To spare anyone else from the emotional torture that you have been through 🤣 , I will announce that this is the correct answer! Well done and you can relax now! In terms of the order it's almost correct too; Ponferrada and O Cebreiro are switched.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
To spare anyone else from the emotional torture that you have been through 🤣 , I will announce that this is the correct answer! Well done and you can relax now! In terms of the order it's almost correct too; Ponferrada and O Cebreiro are switched.
THANK YOU :D. The worst was not giving in to the temptation to look it up 🤣.

I guess the list refers to 2019? As soon as the data for October 2020 are out, I'm going to add up a few numbers for this year. And yep, I could think of better things to do. 🤣

Jun 1, 2016
Fr (17), Prim (19), CF/Norte ‘21, Le Puy/Inv22
THANK YOU :D. The worst was not giving in to the temptation to look it up 🤣.

I guess the list refers to 2019? As soon as the data for October 2020 are out, I'm going to add up a few numbers for this year. And yep, I could think of better things to do. 🤣
Congratulations! I had the wrong “P” city....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Chrisp

Jun 29, 2014
Australia
Camino Frances: 2014
EPW: 2015
Portuguese Camino: 2016
TMB: 2016
Rota Vicentina: 2017
VF: 2018
For a bit of fun:

Do you know, or can you guess, which are the SIX most popular starting points for the Camino Francés (based on 2019 whole-year pilgrim office statistics)?

Three or four are fairly obvious, of course, but there are a few contenders for the last couple of spots. Can you guess all six? Bonus point if you list them correctly in order of their popularity!

1. Sarria (50.7%)
3. León (5.6%)
4. O Cebreiro (4.4%)
5. Ponferrada (3.6%)
6. Roncesvalles (2.6%)

I found these statistics quite interesting so I wrote a blog post about the pros and cons of these six starting points.
Sarria
Roncasvalles
Saint-Jean-Pied=de-Port
Astorga
Leon
Pamplona

Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
Congratulations! I had the wrong “P” city....
I, too, found it surprising that Ponferrada is more popular than Pamplona as a starting point. Of the six most popular, Sarria and SJPP really stick out. And @SabineP wasn't so far off with Astorga on place 7.

6 most popular on CF.jpg

Reactions: SabsP and jungleboy
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
Hmm...let 's think.
1. Sarria
2. St Jean Pied de Port
3. Leon
4.Ponferrada
5. Roncesvalles
6.Astorga ?
That would be my choice too.
PS Just seen the answer, never thought of O’Cebreiro! In fact, I’ve never met someone who started there 😁

barnettstakeagiantstep

May 16, 2019
Concord, NC, USA
2019 Frances
2021 Primitivo
Fun to observe. Thanks for the journey 🚶🏼‍♀️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm not surprised to find Sarria at the top, but the absence of Irun/Hendaye - that was a revelation.
That's because the quiz asks

Cindy McGuire

Mar 29, 2016
Starting from St.jean Pied de Port April 24, 2016
For a bit of fun:

1. Sarria (50.7%)
3. León (5.6%)
4. O Cebreiro (4.4%)
5. Ponferrada (3.6%)
6. Roncesvalles (2.6%)

1. Sarria, 2. Burgos, 3. Sahagún, 4. St Jean Pied de Port, 5. Léon, 6.Pamplona

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
My guess, not necessarily in order:
Sarria
SJPP
Roncesvalles
Pamplona
Leon
O Cebreiro

After seeing the answer: I got 5/6. My answer seems to have been coloured by the accounts I have read, which tend to be weighted towards those who have walked further.

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
I, too, found it surprising that Ponferrada is more popular than Pamplona as a starting point. Of the six most popular, Sarria and SJPP really stick out. And @SabineP wasn't so far off with Astorga on place 7.

View attachment 86738

I thought from the perspective from the Spaniards. I believe they still are the highest percentage of pilgrims. Makes sense they walk parts of a Camino so therefore starting in Ponferrada or Astorga would be very feasible for them to walk " in a normal holiday".
Also makes sense that Spaniards would start in Roncesvalles and not go into trouble of using a taxi or bus to get to Saint Jean.
Burgos , I believe, is for many people not such an interesting city to start. There is still that weird idea that the meseta is " boring ". Not to me though...I love it!

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
Also makes sense that Spaniards would start in Roncesvalles and not go into trouble of using a taxi or bus to get to Saint Jean.
When I did my first Camino I was living in Spain. I started in Roncesvalles because that's where my Spanish neighbors told me it started. Even today, when you walk between the statues just before Sahagun marking the "geographical centre of the Camino de Santiago" and get your half-way certificate in Sahagun, you aren't marking the mid-point between SJPP and Santiago but between Roncesvalles and Santiago.

€83,-

Steve Taylor

Aug 3, 2019
Shrewsbury, England
stevetaylorscamino.home.blog
June 2019 Sarria to Santiago Sept 2019 Logrono to Burgos Aug 2020 St Jean Pied De Port to Logrono
For a bit of fun:

1. Sarria (50.7%)
3. León (5.6%)
4. O Cebreiro (4.4%)
5. Ponferrada (3.6%)
6. Roncesvalles (2.6%)

My first six answers were:
Sarria (No 1) followed in no particular order by:
St Jean Pied de Port
Logroño
Burgos
Leon
Pamplona

(though having seen other answers, perhaps the last one should have been replaced by Roncesvalles)

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides